The Tenant Resource Center is a nonprofit, membership organization dedicated to promoting positive relations between rental housing consumers and providers throughout Wisconsin. By providing information and referrals, education about rental rights and responsibilities, and access to conflict resolution, we empower the community to obtain and maintain quality affordable housing.
The Tenant Resource Center divides its staff among four different programs.
- Housing Counseling & Community Outreach: We give free information on tenant-landlord rights and responsibilities to tenants and landlords statewide who call, email or drop by our offices. We have sample letters, forms and brochures on most major topics. We give informative presentations around Wisconsin, are available for media interviews and participate in community coalitions (contact us if you are interested in working with us in any of these capacities). We give biannual Housing Law Seminar series' aimed at landlords and service providers.
- Housing Help Desk: We distribute information on housing vacancies, low-income and subsidized housing, emergency housing, emergency rental assistance, as well as basic information on tenant-landlord rights and responsibilities at the Dane County Job Center.
- Housing Mediation Service: We administer a program where certified mediators facilitate negotiations between tenants and landlords during the Small Claim Court eviction hearings each week in order to prevent homelessness. These mediators are also available for out of court mediations that are inside Dane County.
- Campus Office: We offer services especially for UW Madison students. For this program, we staff an office at the Student Activity Center, and give presentations around campus (contact us if you are interested in requesting a campus presentation).
- Brenda K. Konkel, Executive Director
Anders Z., Program Director (bilingual Spanish and LGBTQ resources)
Cristina L., Office Manager, Bilingual Housing Resource Specialist (Hmoob)
Laura DK., Program Assistant and Bilingual Housing Resource Specialist (Spanish)
- Robyn S., Office Assistant and Housing Resource Specialist
- Yvonne G., Bilingual Housing Resource Specialist (Spanish)
- Manuela F., Bilingual Housing Resource Specialist (Spanish)
- Sam W., Campus Coordinator
- Matt Koz, Campus Coordinator
Our Board of Directors
- Michael Donnelly, President
- Elizabeth Gokey, Vice President & Secretary
- Susannah Tahk, Treasurer
- Isaac Vetter
- Pearl Fost
- Justin Schober
The TRC is funded by:
AND of course, we are funded by the extraordinary ordinary people who see our value and then send us a few of their hard-earned dollars. Please consider donating if you are able.