Warning: These materials are for City of Madison Residents and UW-Madison Students. For people living in Dane County, outside the City of Madison, please view these resources.
Information provided below may not be applicable to your area.
The Tenant Resource Center maintains information on community resources that may be available to provide eviction prevention funds, security deposit funds, and other emergency financial assistance. See our brochures in pdf format:
Many may be interested in a referral to one of the many agencies, faith groups, community groups, nonprofit groups, and individuals that provide assistance to those in crisis. Many of these local services can also be found through United Way's First Call for Help, 2-1-1.
Sample Letters for Tenants:
- Roommate Agreement
- Breaking a lease
- Wrongfully withheld security deposit
- Landlord references to submit with application
- Requesting repairs
- Problems with heat in the apartment
- Reply to eviction notice over non-payment of rent
- Reply to eviction notice over rules violations
- Disputing an eviction notice
- Responding to a verbal conversation
- Applications to new landlords when your old landlord is giving a bad reference
- Applications to new landlords when renting with a criminal history
- Applications to new landlords when you owe money to your old landlord
Applications to new landlords when you have bad credit history
- Generic sample letter
Forms for Tenants
- Check-In Form
- Check-Out Form
- Rent Payment Agreement
- Roommate Agreement
- Security Deposit Payment Agreement
- Sublet Agreement
- Non-renewal of Month-to-Month Tenancy
- Termination of Tenancy by Mutual Agreement
Brochure series for Tenants:
To ensure you get the correct information for your area, please find this information under the "Know Your Rights" tab.
Useful Blog Posts:
- "Get it in Writing"
- "How to Write a Letter"
- "Negotiation 101"
- "Small Claims Court Tips"
- "Reading Your Lease"
- "Joint and Several Liability"
- "CCAP: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly"
- "Dealing With Unwelcome Guests"
- "Landlord References"
- "Renting with Disabilities"
- "Normal Wear and Tear"
- "Constructive Eviction"
- "Winter No-Go Clauses"
- "Non-Standard Rental Provisions"
- "Is Your Heat On?"
- "Security Deposit Myths Debunked!"
- "Domestic Abuse: For Tenants"
- "Landlord Entry: Dispelling the Confusion"
- "Eviction Notice Responses"
Laws, Statutes and Ordinances:
- Wis. Stat. 704
- Wisconsin Administrative Code ATCP 134
- Wis. Stat. 799
- Madison General Ordinances
- Fitchburg Ordinances
- Pending Legislation
Other Tenant Resource Center Resources
- Attorney Referral List
- Case Management
- Emergency Shelter
- Housing Lists
- Resources to Find Housing
- Security Deposit Loan Funds
- Subsidized Housing Lists