The Tenant Resource Center (TRC) is a nonprofit organization committed to housing justice for all. We help tenants, landlords, and service providers to keep people housed because housing is critical to everyone’s health and well-being.
We are looking for a Bilingual (Spanish) Client Services Specialist who wants to use their experience, knowledge, and passion to help make a difference and be a part of this important work. At TRC, you’ll be joining a diverse team of talented, dedicated advocates for housing justice. Our services are all centered on eviction prevention and stable housing, including housing counseling, housing case management, mediation services, eviction diversion, rental assistance, outreach and education, and housing law seminars. TRC also created and manages an eviction defense program in partnership with local housing attorneys. We offer opportunities for professional growth and a fast-paced environment with complex challenges and a supportive team.
Compensation and Benefits:
TRC pays 100% of the monthly premiums for individual and family health, dental, and vision plans. TRC also pays the monthly premium for a long-term disability plan, and offers additional benefits such as a 401(k) plan, short-term disability, and a flexible spending account. TRC offers 18 days a year of paid personal time off (PTO) as well as 11 paid holidays. At TRC, we believe all individuals should be paid fair wages and have access to affordable healthcare. Our compensation and benefits packages reflect our values.
Client Services Specialists are the heart of TRC’s Eviction Defense and Diversion Partnership. They serve as the main point of contact for the eviction prevention programs by helping tenants and landlords navigate the various application processes for financial assistance, handle intakes for the Coordinated Entry system, engage in outreach with the community, and assist tenants with short-term housing case management.
Position Type: Full-Time (36 hours), some weekends and evenings required; Non-Exempt
Position Reporting: Client Services Supervisor
Location: In-Office and Community Locations; Remote Eligible
Roles and Responsibilities:
As a Bilingual Client Services Specialist, you will, in English and Spanish:
- Work with tenants and landlords (either over the phone, via email, and out in the community) to assist with financial assistance applications, resource navigation, and other community services to protect rental rights and provide information about rental responsibilities, centering around tenant-landlord law in the State of Wisconsin
- Assist tenants and landlords in completing applications for rental assistance
- Navigate the court process with tenants
- Provide logistical support for program needs, including documentation, payment processing, technology, transportation, or other duties as assigned
- Provide housing navigation services focused on securing housing stability with program participants who are either experiencing homelessness or housing instability
- Employ a housing-first strategy and philosophy when working with clients
- Connect with landlords in the community to assist participants in finding their own housing
- Record all services provided to participants in the designated database system(s)
- Understand and ensure compliance with detailed program regulations regarding services provided and documentation collected
- Complete Coordinated Entry screening assessments with people who are requesting eviction prevention assistance throughout Dane County; evaluate whether applicants are eligible for Tenant Resource Center assistance, and refer people who are ineligible to other agencies for assistance
- Participate in regular trainings and meetings hosted by TRC and outside organizations to stay informed on landlord tenant law; services available to clients; partner organizations; best practices in motivational interviewing, harm reduction, and trauma informed care; and legal and programmatic requirements
You don’t need to have all the preferred qualifications listed below to add value to our team and the work. Our clients have diverse experiences and backgrounds, and so do our employees. Diversity is a strength. If you care about housing justice and meet the minimum qualifications, we encourage you to apply! If a qualification below does not say it is preferred, that means it is required.
- Bilingual (Spanish).
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including ability to create, track, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with a diverse team.
- Strong attention to detail and demonstrated ability to manage complicated work functions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with various, diverse populations (such as tenants, landlords, service providers, elected officials, contract managers, judges, attorneys, and court commissioners); especially skilled at taking complicated information and making it more accessible
- Experience working with or ability to quickly learn how to use database systems, cloud-based systems, and other computer systems, including Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Ability to manage affect and maintain professional boundaries.
- Problem-solving skills, including ability to respond calmly to crisis situations.
- Driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle with your own personal insurance when needed to travel to community locations.
- College degree in social work, human services, or related field or 2 years of homeless services/case management experience, preferred.
- Lived experiences of housing insecurity or court involved processes, particularly eviction, mediation, or the criminal justice system, preferred.
Essential Skills Required for All TRC Positions:
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Alignment with Tenant Resource Center core values and mission, including principles of Housing First, Trauma-Informed Care, and Housing as a Human Right.
- Ability to hold compassion and empathy for all people and desire to provide client-centered care to program participants; requires a high degree of cultural competency.
With or without a reasonable accommodation, a Bilingual Client Services Specialist must be able to:
- Work sitting and/or standing for long periods of time in the office and at other locations in the community
- Work in a busy office environment with exposure to loud noises, fluorescent lighting, potential ink fumes, contact with synthetic materials, and air conditioning
- Use a computer for the entire workday
- Carry up to 20 pounds, including a laptop, outreach materials, and other items
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
TRC employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Under current CDC guidelines, an individual is considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 two weeks after receiving the single-dose vaccine or two weeks after the second dose in a two-dose vaccination. Medical or religious accommodations will be considered consistent with legal requirements.
Click here to apply. If you have trouble accessing this link or need to submit materials in alternative formats, please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected]. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please contact us at [email protected].
We are committed to fostering and supporting an inclusive environment where all employees feel respected and welcome. TRC is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. TRC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.