The Tenant Resource Center (TRC) is a nonprofit organization committed to housing justice for all. We help tenants, landlords, and service providers to keep people housed because housing is critical to everyone’s health and well-being.
We are looking for a Bilingual (Spanish) Housing Counseling Specialist who wants to use their experience, knowledge, and passion to help make a difference and be a part of this important work. At TRC, you’ll be joining a diverse team of talented, dedicated advocates for housing justice. Our services are all centered on eviction prevention and stable housing, including housing counseling, housing case management, mediation services, eviction diversion, rental assistance, outreach and education, and housing law seminars. TRC also created and manages an eviction defense program in partnership with local housing attorneys. We offer opportunities for professional growth and a fast-paced environment with complex challenges and a supportive team.
Compensation and Benefits:
TRC pays 100% of the monthly premiums for individual and family health, dental, and vision plans. TRC also pays the monthly premium for a long-term disability plan, and offers additional benefits such as a 401(k) plan, short-term disability, and a flexible spending account. TRC offers 18 days a year of paid personal time off (PTO) as well as 11 paid holidays. At TRC, we believe all individuals should be paid fair wages and have access to affordable healthcare. Our compensation and benefits packages reflect our values.
Housing Counseling Specialists provide information and answer questions about rental rights and responsibilities for tenants, landlords, community partners, and others in the community. Housing Counseling Specialists also assist in outreach activities through community presentations and workshops, and housing counseling training for TRC staff.
Position Type: Full-Time (36 hours), some weekends and evenings required; Non-Exempt
Position Reporting: Program Manager – Housing Counseling Services
Location: In-Office and Community Locations; Remote Eligible
Roles and Responsibilities:
As a Bilingual Housing Counseling Specialist, you will, in English and Spanish:
- Provide information and answer questions about rental rights and responsibilities to tenants and landlords, housing agencies, service providers, and community partners.
- Present to groups of tenants, landlords, service providers, and community partners on rental rights and responsibilities.
- Assist with providing housing counseling training to TRC staff and other community members.
- Assist in developing a newsletter, brochures, and other written materials for tenants, landlords, service providers, and community partners.
- Maintain and distribute comprehensive rental rights and responsibilities information.
- Assist in obtaining feedback from the public, evaluating our services, making suggestions for our services, and implementing changes.
- Record statistical data and assist in contract reporting requirements.
- Participate in regular trainings and meetings hosted by TRC and outside organizations to stay informed on landlord tenant law; services available to clients; partner organizations; best practices in trauma informed care; and legal and programmatic requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
You don’t need to have all the preferred qualifications listed below to add value to our team and the work. Our clients have diverse experiences and backgrounds, and so do our employees. Diversity is a strength. If you care about housing justice and meet the minimum qualifications, we encourage you to apply! If a qualification below does not say it is preferred, that means it is required.
- Bilingual (Spanish).
- Be trained or able to be trained as a housing counselor in local, state, and federal housing laws, consumer protection laws, and small claims court procedures.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including ability to create, track, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with a diverse team.
- Strong attention to detail and demonstrated ability to manage complicated work functions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with various, diverse populations (such as tenants, landlords, service providers, elected officials, contract managers, judges, attorneys, and court commissioners); especially skilled at taking complicated information and making it more accessible.
- Experience working with or ability to quickly learn how to use database systems, cloud-based systems, and other computer systems, including Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Ability to manage affect and maintain professional boundaries.
- Problem-solving skills, including ability to respond calmly to crisis situations.
- Driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle with your own personal insurance when needed to travel to community locations.
- College degree in social work, human services, or related field or 1 year of related experience, preferred.
- Lived experiences of housing insecurity or court involved processes, particularly eviction, mediation, or the criminal justice system, preferred.
Essential Skills Required for All TRC Positions:
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Alignment with Tenant Resource Center core values and mission, including principles of Housing First, Trauma-Informed Care, and Housing as a Human Right.
Ability to hold compassion and empathy for all people and desire to provide client-centered care to program participants; requires a high degree of cultural competency.
With or without a reasonable accommodation, a Bilingual Housing Counseling Specialist must be able to:
- work sitting and/or standing for long periods of time in the office and at other locations in the community
- work in a busy office environment with exposure to loud noises, fluorescent lighting, potential ink fumes, contact with synthetic materials, and air conditioning
- use a computer for the entire workday
- carry up to 20 pounds, including a laptop, outreach materials, and other items
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
TRC employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Under current CDC guidelines, an individual is considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 two weeks after receiving the single-dose vaccine or two weeks after the second dose in a two-dose vaccination. Medical or religious accommodations will be considered consistent with legal requirements.
Click here to apply. If you have trouble accessing this link or need to submit materials in alternative formats, please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please contact us at [email protected].
We are committed to fostering and supporting an inclusive environment where all employees feel respected and welcome. TRC is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. TRC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.